Be part of the Bermuda Festival Team
As a not-for-profit charity, The Bermuda Festival relies on volunteers who utilize their talents and interests in a variety of areas to make a meaningful contribution to the Festival and to the community.
Volunteering is a great way to contribute to our work while meeting like-minded people, learning new skills, seeing Festival shows for free, and becoming involved with Bermuda’s arts scene. We offer opportunities in many areas of our organization – from assisting at special events, ushering and front of house support, administration and marketing, to helping in many other unique areas.
We are looking for volunteers with an interest and passion for the arts and the local community. Our volunteers are reliable and committed, possess a positive attitude and are friendly, courteous, and respectful with our patrons. In return, volunteers receive a range of perks, that may include complimentary performance tickets or special ticket discounts, appreciation events, and more.
Don’t worry – scheduling is flexible, so you can participate according to your availability!
As a volunteer coordinator for the Bermuda Festival you will be helping coordinate all elements of volunteering for a specific volunteer area such as organizing rides or ushers. This is a great opportunity to be part of an amazing cause and see the inner workings of a small non-for-profit art organization. As a volunteer coordinator:
- You must be passionate about making a difference for a cause
- You need strong interpersonal and communication skills, as much of your job requires interacting with other volunteers and employees
- You need excellent organization and leadership skills to onboard and manage other volunteers
- You will be working in an online environment, in person and over the phone
- You must have basic knowledge of Word, Excel and be comfortable using simple online organization tools.
Host a Dinner
One consistent refrain from our visiting artists is how overwhelmed they are by our hospitality and how much they enjoy getting to know ‘locals’. Hosting a dinner for one of the artist groups is an important experience that the Festival offers to its performers and which sets us apart from other Festivals. Hosting a dinner is a great way to get to know the artists on a personal basis and let them experience a little of Bermuda’s personality. As a host you must love to entertain and be willing to open your home to others. Expectations of Hosts:
- Host a dinner party for a Festival group in a casual and relaxed environment
- Provide dinner of your choice to the group, their support entourage and any friends you may like invite
- The Festival will generally have one or two representatives attend to help introduce the group to the host and provide added support
- If possible, the Festival will supply wine for the evening. (This is dependent upon sponsorships)
- Host is expected to arrange set up and clean up of the dinner party
- You may request a specific group to host. The Festival will do their best to accommodate
- In 2021, we may request these dinners be held outside or under our tent if appropriate social distancing is not available at our hosts home.
Supporting with the Marketing Strategy of the Bermuda Festival is your opportunity to learn the ins and outs of what marketing is for a small non-profit organisation. Depending upon your expertise, your skills and/or duties may include:
- Working in an online environment
- Knowledge of Microsoft word/excel
- Photographing Festival events to help generate content for online channels
- Writing captions for social media. Must have working knowledge of Facebook and Instagram
- Helping to write newsletters and/or proof-reading articles
- Helping to edit images and videos. Must have some graphic design skills
Front of House
Our volunteer House Managers and Ushers are critical to the smooth operations of each performance. Duties may include:
- Assisting with pre performance set-up which would include getting programs and tickets ready for patrons
- Assisting with coat check before and after a performance
- Greeting patrons as they arrive
- Assisting patrons with finding their seating location
- Monitoring patrons and the theatre space during the performance
- Supporting with post performance theatre clean up
- Be an ambassador for the Bermuda Festival and answer patron questions pertaining to the Festival and its programming
- Follow Covid-19 safety guidelines and help patrons do the same
- No previous experience necessary
Back of House
Backstage work gets you right in the thick of the action. Some technical work requires specialized knowledge and experience, but there are also opportunities to assist without any experience. Duties may include:
- Helping set up, move and take down sets. Must be strong and healthy to be able to move heavy items
- Helping artist with quick changes and organizing costumes
- Washing towels and costumes
- Mending costumes. Sewing skills required.
- Each performance makes different demands on the technical crew and late night work is often a feature of this aspect of the Festival
As a driver you are right in the action with each group. Getting to know them personally, and sharing your little part of Bermuda with them. Duties may include:
- Airport pick up and/or drop off
- Transport form hotel to performace venue and/or back to hotel
- Must have a valid Bermuda license, licensed and inssured vehicle
- Some late nights or early mornings maybe required
- Some groups will required space for instruments
Share your Guesthouse
We are looking for unique places for our artists to stay. If you have a Guesthouse, Airbnb or rental apartment that you would like to share with a Bermuda Festival group please fill out the volunteer form and we will get in touch with you.